Thakur Nawal Singh Bahadur (Shekhawat) founded Nawalgarh in 1737 AD at the village site of Rohili, before abolition of Jagirs in Rajasthan. Many great business families of marwari community have their origins from Nawalgarh. Nawalgarh was a tazimi thikana of Bhojraj Ji Ka sept of Shekhawat in Shekhawati. Nawalgarh was encircled by the high Parkota (walls) consisting of four Pols (gates) in different directions, namely Agoona Darwaja, Bawadi Darwaja (literally – ‘door near the well’ in the north), Mandi Darwaja (literally – ‘door near the market’) and Nansa Darwaja. Each gate has iron doors. Bala Kila Fort is situated in the center of the Thikana, and Fatehgarh Fort is situated outside the Parkota as an Outpost. The market place of the town and layout of the havelis indicate that the original city was well-planned before construction. Nawalgarh was considered to be the most modern towns of Shekhawati. The Rulers of Nawalgarh belong to the Shekhawat sub-clan (Bhojraj Ji Ka September) of Kachwaha Dynasty of the earlier Jaipur Princely State.
Nawalgarh Fort (Bala Kila Fort)
Built by Thakur Nawal Singh. Founded in 1737 AD but today it stands largely disfigured by the modern accretions. Now it houses five banks and a few government offices.
Roop Niwas Palace
About one km from the Nawalgarh fort is the salubrious Roop Niwas Palace. Built by Thakur Roop Singh Ji and Rawal Madan Singh Ji. The palace is enchanting with a well-laid garden and fountains. It has now been converted into a heritage hotel.
Anandi Lal Podar Haveli
This haveli, built in the 1920s, houses a school, but has many fine paintings. It is the only haveli in the whole Shekhawati, which has been restored by its owner.
It is an astounding building with a ceiling mural that includes maps of Nawalgarh and Jaipur.
Other places of interest
Murarka Haveli, Bansidhar Bhagat Haveli, Chokhani Haveli,Seksaria Haveli, Bhagat Haveli,Poddar Haveli, Chudi wali Haveli, Morarka Haveli.